17 Aug Vegetarian Picnic Rolls
Vegetarian Picnic Rolls
Shredded spinach, chopped PEPPADEW® Yellow Piquanté Peppers, toasted hazelnuts, and ricotta cheese bound together and encased in puff pastry and baked until crisp and golden makes a great alternative to a sausage roll.
For the filling:
- 220g ricotta cheese
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 75g spinach, shredded
- 50g PEPPADEW® Yellow Piquanté Peppers, drained and chopped
- 25g roasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the pastry:
- 1 pack ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200C fan/gas mark 7.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the filling together.
- Roll out the pastry and divide into 2, lengthways.
- Divide the filling into 2 and place along the centre of each length of pastry.
- Make slashes in the un-topped pastry, fold over to enclose the filling to making 2 pastry parcels. Seal the edges and divide each parcel into 3-4 portions.
- Place the picnic rolls onto a non-stick baking tray, brush with egg wash and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Mix the egg and milk together to make an egg wash.
- Brush the picnic rolls with the egg wash and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake for 10- 15 minutes or until the pastry is risen, golden and cooked through.
- Serve hot or cold.
Leftover egg wash can be used for scrambled egg or omelette.
Lunch, packed lunch, picnics, parties.