20 Dec Turkish Pide Breads With Red Piquanté Peppers
Turkish Pide Breads With Red Piquanté Peppers
Vibrant ingredients are layered on pide bread for a taste of the Mediterranean with a hint of heat.
Savoury flatbreads with bold Mediterranean flavours.
- 236ml warm water
- 7g instant yeast
- 1tsp caster sugar
- 300g strong bread flour
- 1tsp salt
- 3tbsp olive oil (and more for drizzling)
For the topping
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1x red onion
- 4x garlic cloves
- 260g baby spinach, washed and pat dried
- 1x jar PEPPADEW® Red Piquanté Peppers (Some sliced and some whole peppers)
- 100g feta cheese
- 2x courgettes
- 1tbsp black pepper
- 1x beaten egg for washing
- White sesame seeds
These delicious savoury flatbreads are formed into a boat-like shape and baked in the oven. It is a bit like a healthier version of pizza, with various toppings that are layered with bold Mediterranean flavours. Stuffed with sauteed red onions, spinach, courgette, feta cheese and Red Piquanté peppers. These can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Bloom the yeast: warm the water to between 90°-110°F. It should be slightly warm to the touch but not hot. In a small bowl, combine the instant yeast, sugar and warm water. Mix gently with a spoon and set aside for 20 minutes until the mixture is frothy.
- Combine the flour and salt: in a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Make a well in the middle and pour in 2 tbsp of olive oil and the yeast mixture. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula draw the flour in from the sides and work the mixture into a sticky, shaggy dough.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly oiled surface, and knead the dough for 3-4 minutes, until you have a smooth dough. If the dough gets sticky as you knead, pour another 1 tbsp of olive oil over the dough, and sprinkle with an additional 2 tbsp of flour. Knead until the dough is smooth.
- Drizzle a little olive oil in a large bowl, and place the dough in the bowl. Cover with cling film or plastic wrap. Leave the bowl in a warm place for at least 1 hour until it doubles in size.
- Once the dough has risen, prepare two baking trays by lightly oiling them and lining them with parchment paper.
- Lightly flour your surface and then split the dough into two equal pieces. Knead each dough back into two balls. Gently stretch each dough out into 2 oval shapes, about 8 x 16 inches. This takes a little patience because the dough will want to bounce back, but keep working it and it will stretch. You can use a rolling pin.
- Drizzle the dough with a little olive oil and set the trays aside to prepare the filling.
- Make the topping: heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a wide heavy pan and stir in the onions, garlic, and diced courgette. Sauté for 10 minutes over medium heat, or until the onions are translucent, and the courgettes are slightly softened.
- Turn the heat down to low and add the baby spinach, half the sliced PEPPADEW® red Red Piquanté Peppers and tbsp black pepper, mix until well combined. Once the spinach starts to wilt, remove the pan from the heat, stir a few times and allow to cool down in the pan (about 20 minutes).
- Preheat the oven and prepare the baking sheets: Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spread the cooled filling in the centre of each dough, leaving about 3cm around the edge. Fold the dough edges over crimping the edges in.
- Add whole PEPPADEW® Red Piquanté Peppers to the filling top, Stuff the middle of the peppers with some crumbled feta cheese. Add more feta cheese to the rest of the topping as well as a few slices of raw red onion.
- Brush the bread edges with egg wash, and sprinkle with white sesame seeds.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes, until the sides are golden brown and crispy at the edges. Cut into slices and serve warm.