17 Aug Shakshuka
Free-range eggs are lightly poached in a mildly spiced tomato sauce with red onions, PEPPADEW® Yellow Piquantè Peppers, baby spinach, and sliced mushrooms and served with fresh crusty bread. For a more substantial version add diced potatoes or mixed beans to the tomato sauce.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp harissa
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 handfuls spinach leaves
- 50g PEPPADEW® Yellow Piquanté Peppers, drained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil and fry the onion for about 5 minutes until softened – add the garlic after a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the harissa, mix well to coat the onions.
- Add the tomatoes and mushrooms and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and most of the Yellow Piquanté Peppers, reserving a couple for garnish.
- Season to taste and then make 4 wells in the sauce and crack an egg into each.
- Cover the pan and cook over a gentle heat for 5-10 minutes until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Slice the reserved Peppers and scatter over the Shakshuka with the parsley. Serve with fresh crusty bread.
Breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner.